How to Repair Your MacBook Pro with a Broken Keyboard
According to Apple, "a small percentage of the keyboards of certain MacBook and MacBook Pro models" are affected by one or more problems:
- characters are unexpectedly repeated
- Characters are not displayed
- One or more keys show excessive pressure resistance, hang after impact, or are inconsistent
Apple has been offering a new repair program since Friday affected devices. These can be returned for free to Apple or authorized service partners for repair. The type of repair is decided on a case by case basis so that either only individual keys or the entire keyboard can be exchanged.
The following MacBook models are part of the repair program
- MacBook (Retina, 12 ", early 2015)
- MacBook (Retina, 12", early 2016)
- MacBook (Retina, 12 ", 2017)
- MacBook Pro (13", 2016, two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
- MacBook Pro (13 '', 2017, two Thunderbolt 3 ports)
- MacBook Pro (13 ", 2016, four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
- MacBook Pro (13", 2017, four Thunderbolt 3 ports)
- MacBook Pro (15 '', 2016)
- MacBook Pro (15 '', 2017)
Which model you own can be found in the menu bar above the "Apple logo See About This Mac. Since only the listed models have the keyboard with Butterfly mechanism, other Macs are excluded from the program.
May the MacBook be damaged?
In addition, Apple points out that any other damage will be corrected first if it affects keyboard repair. They may be chargeable. If, for example, physical damage to the housing is detected, this will not affect the repair. However, liquid damage and other physical damage to the keyboard excludes the device from repair.
Apple MacBook Pro 13 "Touch Bar, i5 3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Space Gray
Program Validity & Refund for Repairs Performed
Apple will provide the service for four years after (initially) purchasing a qualifying MacBook or MacBook Pro. As one of the first devices will be the MacBook (12 ", early 2015) fall from the program.If you have bought it for launch, then the program will only be available to you until April 10, 2019. For future buyers If you buy a MacBook (Pro) today, you will have time to repair it by June 25, 2022.
Did you have your MacBook (Pro) repaired because of the keyboard problem? then you can get in touch with Apple and have the best chance of getting a refund of the amount you paid out below.
How to Apply for Repair via Support Page
- First open the support page on Apple.com
- Select "Mac"
- Click "Hardware Issues"
- Select "Bring to Repair" from
- Log in with your Apple ID
- Enter your Location
- Select an Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider
- Set Time and Date for Repair Date
- Bring your MacBook (Pro) past your selected store at the appointed time
How to apply for repair via Apple Support App
- Start the Apple Support App on your iOS device or download it from the App Store first
- Log in with your Apple ID
- Tap "Get Support"
- Select your affected MacBook (Pro) from the collection
- Tap "Hardware Issues"
- Select "Keyboard does not work as expected "from
- Tap the sym bol with the three dots next to "Additional Support"
- Select "Show All"
- Tap "Return to Repair"
- Select an Apple Store or a Authorized Service Provider from
- Set Time & Date for Repair Date
- Tap "Reserve" to confirm
- Attach your MacBook (Pro) to your scheduled appointment Your selected store over